Thread: Nvidia now includes FXAA -- Make WoW Prettier for Less.

Default Nvidia now includes FXAA -- Make WoW Prettier for Less.

The latest Nvidia drivers (out 8/8 - I'm behind!) offically include something that has been in beta forever, and people have been raving about. FXAA post processing. -- So, I tried it out!

shader-based anti-aliasing technology available from the NVIDIA Control Panel that enables ultra-fast anti-aliasing in hundreds of PC games. FXAA delivers similar quality to 4x multi-sample antialiasing (MSAA) but is up to 60% faster, enabling substantially higher performance in games. FXAA is supported on all GeForce 8-series and later GPUs.
    For more information: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/201...sing-fxaa.html

Pros:
    • Faster, a lot faster. (Noticeably so for me, averaging about 10 frames. Upwards of 15-20 in some scenes, and I was only using 2x MSAA before! (with my GeForce 260))
    • Applies to the ENTIRE SCENE. This includes textures with alpha rendered onto a polygon, so that trees, plants, hair, and spell effects and things will be smoothed. (this is the part I really like)

Cons:
    • It's POST processing, which means that FRAPS and screenshots will not have the anti-aliasing applied (which sucks, especially for Fraps, easy enough to use a graphics editor to run a similar filter to clean up screenshots)
    • It may not look as good in smaller resolutions or larger monitors, my little 21 inch 1920x1080 it looks amazing, but so did 2x MSAA (which is why I wasn't using 4x, my pixels are TINY)
    • Currently not built into WoW, so it has to be enabled via the Nvidia control panel. This means it'll smooth EVERYTHING (including the UI, which sucks if I want to use it with my Pixel Perfect interface) This can also be seen as a plus, though, and I may purposefully change to some fonts that were ugly before, that FXAA may clear up.
    • It's more of a "filter" than true Anti-Aliasing. -- Which means that the algorithm or whatever it uses will occasionally smooth things that aren't edges, and should remain sharp.

Alternative: (discovered while reading up on this, I haven't tried this out yet!)
    SMAA is a similar (and visually better) open source option, capable of using more resources to be prettier. (Better 'subpixel' anti-aliasing and smoother diagonals than FXAA, if you're playing a game with a lot of chain link fences get this, lol)
    You may want to try on games other than WoW with an injector -- Alas, Blizzard is, as always, unclear on if the use of utilities like this will get you banned... So, not really a viable option for WoW
    Last edited by Deph; 08-16-2012 at 03:42 PM.