Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Blackwing Descent Strategy Notepad

At the 30-31 second mark he blinked to the other side somehow. :P

Actually it looks like it was spliced with other footage but it threw me off for a moment. That rogue is helping a lot with slows. I can try to slow them as Frost to help out if need be.

The positioning of the dragons was also a key. That DK never took a tail swipe nor did he get hit with the Electricity Discharge(ohhhh, I said Discharge). He also was not Dominicated which helps a lot. It looked like the priest was dedicated healing for him as well. They both just stood there during HC. It looked smooth and I think Bauser and I can do it. Just need to work on threat above healers, angles to kite and timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilwenn View Post
    Actually it looks like it was spliced with other footage but it threw me off for a moment. That rogue is helping a lot with slows. I can try to slow them as Frost to help out if need be.
    I've been wondering if Typhoon would help in this as well, if they are all grouped I can knock them back and daze for 6 seconds. Just putting that out there in case it's a tool we have overlooked. Also Shrooms will slow as well, I can place those along their path.

In our best attempt on Heroic Nef, in which we got to P3 and had Nef down to about 63%, the only thing that didn't go according to plan was the adds taking two Shadowblazes to all spawn. Bauser and Kilwenn are doing a great job improving on CCing the adds in P1 and getting them as bunched up as possible, however they will rarely be as stacked up as they are when we would actually tank them. With this said, I was thinking that Nef's Shadowflame Breath would easily activate all of the adds as long as they all died in the same general area.

This parse from the logs appear to show that Nef does a breath roughly 5 seconds after the first Shadowblaze hits, so even if the first blaze doesnt activate all of the constructs, Nef's breath surely will.

[20:51:25.622] Chromatic Prototype dies
    [20:51:45.532] Shadowblaze Flashpoint Shadowblaze Vikrum 31500 (R: 15000)
    [20:51:46.898] Shadowblaze Flashpoint Shadowblaze Vikrum 27000 (R: 20000)
    [20:51:50.926] Nefarian begins to cast Shadowflame Breath

The downside of this is obviously our add tank will be at risk of getting hit by the first breath, however I feel with proper cooldown useage the risk of a tank getting hit with one breath is small compared to the reward of having all of the adds activate at the same time.

VOTE ME RAID LEADER 2012! Takaoni's Avatar

Oh I like this idea. It would be very easy for me to just point him right at the spot and then adjust. Since they are all coming up at exactly the same time Vikrum could even stand away from the "breath zone" entirely and use Guide's MD to move them over to him (with his own ranged threat stuff too of course!)

More stuff for Heroic: Nefarian:

We're really close! Just need a bit more practice, specifically Phase 3. If we have all Bone Warriors near each other going into P3, once Vik gets his movement pattern down, we should be able to breeze through the rest of this bad boy!

Phase 3

Above is one of the videos I've mentioned recently, which is from a Pal tank PoV and displays the method he uses for P3 kiting (Phase 3 starts around 4:10). The key points that we can glean are all pretty obvious but worth specifying:

All Bone Constructs Start with Same Energy

Just like normal, this really dictates the rest of the fight, so while we'll always do our best to get all of them dead right on top of each other, due to random charms in P1, this isn't always possible. We can plan to use Nef's breath as Kain mentioned above to get any straggler, but there's a very key point here: All five Bone Warriors must be hit by said breath. Even if this means 4 adds must be replenished to full energy and thus be alive 10+ seconds longer than they would be normally, it is of utmost importance all five adds have the same energy levels to begin this phase so that they all die simultaneously. It is next to impossible to manage multiple energy levels between a couple sets of adds by having some die 30 seconds prior to the rest or what not, so we must plan for this accordingly by recognizing during P1 if our first Shadowblaze during P3 will activate all five adds quickly or if Vik will need to stand on top of the straggler add corpses with whichever initial spawns activated from Shadowblaze to eat the coming breath, causing all five to reset to 100% energy.

Moving ~2-3 Seconds Prior to Shadowblaze CD

I'm not sure if DBM has accurate CD timers these days for Shadowblaze (I assume it does), but the CD timer in the video was right on, ending just as the next bolt was being cast. This means, starting to move 2-3 seconds prior to the CD finishing gives enough movement "ramp up" time to continue out of the next bolt (that will land 3-4 seconds later), but not waste movement time/room area too much, allowing a stationary placement at the next locale briefly before the next move.

To assist, I setup a WeakAuras warning using DBM timers for this. Obviously we'll have to test it (remind me to have us test on Normal mode once so we don't waste any good Phase 3 attempts on actual Heroic), but this should be a very simple warning: Icon/text/"Run away little girl" sound clip when Shadowblaze CD has 3 seconds remaining. This will account for even a ~1 second reaction time to start moving and will still give ~3 seconds before the bolt lands, so that should work out well for the late-stage Shadowblaze casts that happen so frequently.

Shadowblaze Move Warning Import Text

Manual Add Energy Reset If Necessary

Look specifically at ~5:40 in the video, which is a key moment. Just after all Bone Warriors deactivate, the following Shadowblaze hit only a single straggler and is slowly spreading toward the rest. However, the kiter recognizes that the lone Warrior will be "off-energy" as it's down to 85-90 energy range, thus he manually pushes it back into the flames just before the flames reach the rest of the pack to reanimate, thus properly resetting everything to equal energy levels so they'll die-off simultaneously.

Assist Heals

Not really related to the video, but I noticed in our last few attempts going into Phase 3, the positioning is such that as a healer, it is fairly easy to be in heal range of both Taka and Vikrum while rotating around. Outside of Breath burst damage, damage on the Nef tank is fairly low, so I ended up transferring most of my HoTs to Vik on add duty the last couple attempts, however beyond that, I think it would be beneficial to have one healer on "split duty". Obviously while adds are 50+ energy, damage on Vik is fairly weak, but as they get 10+ stacks, their damage is around 25k before blocks, which can be pretty spikey and dangerous, so between breaths, most extra healing should be on the add tank or slow HoTs to top-up raid.

Electrocute Cooldowns

Obviously the non-tank raid members should never be in danger here if we heal properly, so my primary concern is on tanks. Ideally we should have a cooldown for both tanks for every Electrocute during P3, because while they aren't "necessary", it can be especially dangerous without one, specifically for the Nef tank if it lines up with a Breath cooldown, which is always 100k+ unavoidable damage.

Per logs, Eletrocute seems to occur about every 50 seconds, so we'll assume worst-case scenario of every 45 seconds.

Known cooldowns I can think of:

Warrior:
    Shield Block -- With the new 20% magic reduction, and short cooldown, this should be saved for every Electrocute.
    Resist Trinket -- Every other cast.
    Shield Wall -- Weave in when necessary.
    Divine Guardian -- From Paladin

Paladin:
    Resist Trinket -- Every other cast.
    Divine Protection
    GAK
    Rallying Cry -- From Warrior

Given Shield Block's short cooldown and relative strength, the cooldown rotation will really need to revolve around Vikrum's need. If he self-cooldowns whenever possible, then gives warning ahead of time when one won't be available for the coming Electrocute, we can work out which cooldown to give him (Rallying Cry, Hand of Sac+Divine Shield, or even Tranquility in a pinch).

Phase 1

It was suggested last night why we don't spend more time in P1 to get an Electrocute or two out of Nef, and at first I was strongly convinced there was just no benefit, as the damage would be dealt either way. However, looking at the logs, I'm starting to think DPS time during P1 would actually produce slightly higher numbers than on P3 due to a bit of loss from ranged DPS movement during P3 rotation. Unfortunately the dominicated buff make using logs as a comparison a real bitch on this fight, but it seems worth a shot at least.

Moreover, another benefit would be that during P2, if/when a particular pillar must stop DPS on their add, the ranged can throw a bit of damage on Nef while waiting for other pillars to catch up without risking Nef getting too close to an Electrocute (since he should theoretically be in the high 80s going into P2 unless we're amaaaaaazing).

Quote Originally Posted by Kulldam View Post
    Assist Heals
    Not really related to the video, but I noticed in our last few attempts going into Phase 3, the positioning is such that as a healer, it is fairly easy to be in heal range of both Taka and Vikrum while rotating around. Outside of Breath burst damage, damage on the Nef tank is fairly low, so I ended up transferring most of my HoTs to Vik on add duty the last couple attempts, however beyond that, I think it would be beneficial to have one healer on "split duty". Obviously while adds are 50+ energy, damage on Vik is fairly weak, but as they get 10+ stacks, their damage is around 25k before blocks, which can be pretty spikey and dangerous, so between breaths, most extra healing should be on the add tank or slow HoTs to top-up raid.
    I will make sure to strong Healing Rains more often during Phase 3. Its small, but anything helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulldam View Post
    Electrocute Cooldowns

Obviously the non-tank raid members should never be in danger here if we heal properly, so my primary concern is on tanks. Ideally we should have a cooldown for both tanks for every Electrocute during P3, because while they aren't "necessary", it can be especially dangerous without one, specifically for the Nef tank if it lines up with a Breath cooldown, which is always 100k+ unavoidable damage.

Per logs, Eletrocute seems to occur about every 50 seconds, so we'll assume worst-case scenario of every 45 seconds.
    Perhaps it's an obvious thing to say, but by rotating my class cooldown (barkskin) and the Tol Barad trinket, I have a cooldown to help minimize electrocute damage each time. If you have a similar set up, even if you're dps, the extra dmg reduction will help the healers out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansum View Post
    I will make sure to strong Healing Rains more often during Phase 3. Its small, but anything helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boheem View Post
    Perhaps it's an obvious thing to say, but by rotating my class cooldown (barkskin) and the Tol Barad trinket, I have a cooldown to help minimize electrocute damage each time. If you have a similar set up, even if you're dps, the extra dmg reduction will help the healers out a lot.
    Both great points and ideas, do this stuff guys!

I agree that we are very close on this. One other obvious thing to watch for is Dominication. If you are Dominicated, you do not take damage from the dragons(although players can damage you...thanks totems!). Sometimes this can be used to your advantage to avoid Electrocute, Electric Discharge, Tail Lash, etc. Additionally, it will be very important also to have the damage buff as high as possible in P3. With all of the movement we will need to make up for the damage loss somehow. Dominication lasts for 20 seconds and is described below(taken from Wowhead):

If mind controlled as a dps, you will want to spam 2 to stack Stolen Power (the more stacks you have, the faster it will increase) and hit 1 when you are about to reach the portal. If you do reach the portal while still controlled, you will die. DPS will need to maximize their buff stacks in order to make the tight enrage--it is possible to gain up to 150 stacks of Stolen Power and do 750% increased damage for 15 seconds. Mindcontrolled healers will want to break this instantly. Raiders can be slowed, but they cannot be stunned. Slowing players will ensure they have more time to reach the portal and gain more stacks of Stolen Power.

I agree with Boheem that the TB trinket is great to have. It works well for Explosive Cinders and for Electrocute. We need to mitigate as much damage as possible to help the healers. They have a hard enough job as it is. Heroic Nefarian dies this Sunday.

On a side note, if anyone needs to work on TB dailies then let me know. I will help out. It is always more fun, not to mention faster, when you have help.

VOTE ME RAID LEADER 2012! Takaoni's Avatar

On the TB dailies too if you were not aware you can actually do all 9 of the mini-dungeon dailies around Baradin Hold each day. Just keep checking back after each battle that we win - the choice of mini-dungeons is made on a per-battle basis and not on a daily basis. Winning TB is also worth another 3 commendations so if you're very diligent about checking in every 2 hours you can net tons of commendations each day.