Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 100 of 100

Thread: Heroic Lich King Strategy Notepad

  1. #91
    VI Officer - Forum Admin Khrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    1,344

    Default

    Perhaps killing them 'all' is not the right strat. Perhaps killing half of them then engaging LK would be the answer. Less overall damage from Vile Spirits and more time spent on LK.

    Just a thought.

  2. #92

    Default

    More dataz on the Vile Spirit strategy outlined above:

    Click here for log/graph of all Vile Spirit damage from our normal LK the other day.

    From that data, we can extrapolate the following:

    Average Fides Mind Sear Tick Damage: 4022 damage
    Average Fides Mind Sear Tick Delay: 0.786 sec
    Average Fides Mind Sear DPS: 5117 per target

    Average Bunny Mind Sear Tick Damage: 2138 damage
    Average Bunny Mind Sear Tick Delay: 0.777 sec
    Average Bunny Mind Sear DPS: 2752 per target

    Average Harkle Seed of Corruption Explosion Damage: 5335 damage
    Average Harkle Seed of Corruption Cast Time: 1.5 sec
    Average Harkle Seed of Corruption DPS: 3557 per target

    Kilwenn: Can you do a brief test and see what your Living Bomb explosion hits for on average and post it here please?

    Anyway, we can estimate our damage output on Vile Spirits from the above data based on average targets hit. In our logs, there are a few occasions Mind Sear actually hit all 10 Vile Spirit targets, but to be safe, we'll assume 5 targets on average for each AE affect tick, which gives us:

    Fides DPS: 25585
    Bunny DPS: 13760
    Harkle DPS: 17785
    Kilwenn DPS: Unknown

    These numbers match the DPS spikes from our logs quite well so 5 target average seems accurate.

    Obviously, since Living Bomb has a "back end" damage component, it's entirely possible some of Kilwenn's Living Bomb targets will die before the explosion triggers. However, with a 12 second timer until explosion, Kil should (theoretically) be able to get Living Bomb up on all Vile Spirit targets and have it explode/expire before the 30 second agro timer.

    Harkle: It's difficult to tell from the log, but I just want to make sure your casting style of Seed on the Vile Spirits is proper. That is, many Warlocks are used to chain-casting Seed on a single target, as if other DPS are attacking the same target, it will trigger the Seed explosion before the next Seed cast can land. However, with Vile Spirits, there is no way to guarantee that any given Vile Spirit will receive enough damage from other AE attacks to trigger Seed explosion prior to the next Seed landing, since it's possible your target may not be hit by Sear, or may in fact be Priest(s)' target, thus taking no damage at all, etc.

    Therefore, make sure you are picking a new, fresh Vile Spirit target for each Seed cast, ideally one without Seed currently active. This will ensure any given cast doesn't overwrite a previous Seed (and thus waste that potential AE damage).

    You might consider using PowerAuras to setup a simple warning letting you know when your target does or does not have Seed of Corruption debuff active. Unfortunately there is no way to make the warning show only on Vile Spirits (and hide when targeting other stuff like LK), but if you want help setting something like that up let me know.

    Kilwenn: Obviously same situation as Harkle but even worse since you need as many casts to reach that 12 second timeout as possible. One thing to consider is setting up PowerAuras to help indicate if targets have Living Bomb (might be easier than checking the debuff list on your target, but your call of course).

    The good news is, even without Kilwenn's numbers in hand yet, we can clearly see that we should have no trouble at all with our four casters putting out enough damage to kill off most if not all Vile Spirits during HLK Phase 3 (remember, we need 30,000 DPS over 30 seconds, and we're seeing 57,130 DPS from Fides/Harkle/Bunny, so I'd wager we're at ~70,000 adding Kilwenn in).

    One key thing to keep in mind is that Mind Sear is the bread and butter of the damage due to it's super short tick time and ability to basically keep it going constantly, so Fides and Bunny will both really have to focus on Vile Spirit spawn timers and their own positioning so as to be able to immediately start channeling and spam that shit with minimal interruption from Defile movement.

    I imagine you already know as much, but be sure you both have a channeling macro that lets you spam the Mind Sear button without clipping your ticks, like so:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /stopmacro [channeling]
    /cast Mind Sear
    That's about all for now; still not heard a lot of feedback on this (mostly from Khrash and Kain), so if anyone else has thoughts on the topic I'd love to hear them, but suffice to say I feel confident this strategy will prove quite doable and safe, which lets us focus solely on Frostmourne movement, so once that is down we'll be as good as victorious!

  3. #93
    VI Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brokelahoma :(
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I know my DPS on the Vile Spirits isn't exactly blowing your skirts up or anything, but was there a reason I wasn't included in the above? I assume it was an oversight and that I should continue to do what little dps I can on the Vile Spirits. If you want me doing something else, let me know. I just want a Win and as they say a W is a W no matter how you get there.

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guide View Post
    I know my DPS on the Vile Spirits isn't exactly blowing your skirts up or anything, but was there a reason I wasn't included in the above? I assume it was an oversight and that I should continue to do what little dps I can on the Vile Spirits. If you want me doing something else, let me know. I just want a Win and as they say a W is a W no matter how you get there.
    As mentioned in the first post about the topic, you are part of the Physical DPS team on LK full-time, primarily because your AE abilities are weak for Vile Spirits and your single-target DPS is high.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulldam View Post
    [...]
    Tanks = 3500*2 = 7000
    Ugra + Kath + Guide = 33500
    Total Melee = 40500 DPS
    Actual Phase 3 DPS = 20250 (Halved due to half time spent in Frostmourne room)
    Time to kill for Physical DPS only = 8:15, or 0:58 over allotted time (Time to kill Raging and LK for Physical DPS only)
    Soulstone Trick on Ugra or Kath = ~9000 DPS for 50 sec = 450000 damage = Time to kill for Physical DPS only = 7:53, or 0:36 over allotted time
    [...]

  5. #95
    VI Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brokelahoma :(
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Hmm, I don't know how I missed that, thank you for the clarification.

  6. #96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guide View Post
    Hmm, I don't know how I missed that, thank you for the clarification.
    <3 times dee

  7. #97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulldam View Post
    Kilwenn: Can you do a brief test and see what your Living Bomb explosion hits for on average and post it here please?

    Anyway, we can estimate our damage output on Vile Spirits from the above data based on average targets hit. In our logs, there are a few occasions Mind Sear actually hit all 10 Vile Spirit targets, but to be safe, we'll assume 5 targets on average for each AE affect tick, which gives us:

    Fides DPS: 25585
    Bunny DPS: 13760
    Harkle DPS: 17785
    Kilwenn DPS: Unknown

    These numbers match the DPS spikes from our logs quite well so 5 target average seems accurate.

    Obviously, since Living Bomb has a "back end" damage component, it's entirely possible some of Kilwenn's Living Bomb targets will die before the explosion triggers. However, with a 12 second timer until explosion, Kil should (theoretically) be able to get Living Bomb up on all Vile Spirit targets and have it explode/expire before the 30 second agro timer.
    I would estimate my DPS to be around 20k if I can get LB to explode on all of them. The problem is getting all 10 Vile Spirits targeted and cast on. They move around alot which makes them difficult to target at times.

    LB as you know requires that I spec Fire. I have been Arcane due to my burst capabilities, 3% Raid damage buff, and Frozen Orb duty. Do you want me to go Fire now? If so, I may not be able to handle Phase 1.5 Orbs solo as I do now. As Arcane I can burn them down quicker than I can as Fire but I may just need to practice it as Fire to work out the timing. We will lose the 3% damage raid buff and gain 5% crit which is pointless because we have Harkle. I am definitely not opposed to speccing Fire, but I am concerned that it may not be the best option for the raid. Especially if we don't need LB for Vile Spirits. Even as Arcane I would still single target kill as needed.

  8. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilwenn View Post
    I would estimate my DPS to be around 20k if I can get LB to explode on all of them. The problem is getting all 10 Vile Spirits targeted and cast on. They move around alot which makes them difficult to target at times.
    Roger, obviously finding targets without LB already on is the hard part, but as suggested you can quickly setup Power Auras or a similar addon to give an immediate and noticeable warning when your target has or doesn't have LB active, so that should allow fairly easy target cycling, stopping when the addon says so.

    Also, if you could do a quick test on some solo mobs when you get a chance and post your actual damage from the explosion that would be handy (obviously it'll be lower when solo but just trying to get a feel for the numbers).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilwenn View Post
    LB as you know requires that I spec Fire. I have been Arcane due to my burst capabilities, 3% Raid damage buff, and Frozen Orb duty. Do you want me to go Fire now? If so, I may not be able to handle Phase 1.5 Orbs solo as I do now. As Arcane I can burn them down quicker than I can as Fire but I may just need to practice it as Fire to work out the timing. We will lose the 3% damage raid buff and gain 5% crit which is pointless because we have Harkle. I am definitely not opposed to speccing Fire, but I am concerned that it may not be the best option for the raid. Especially if we don't need LB for Vile Spirits. Even as Arcane I would still single target kill as needed.
    I'm not too worried about the 3% right now, as obviously our focus is dealing with Vile Spirits and to do that we need AE DPS, which unfortunately limits you to Fire spec only.

    Obviously it's one thing to figure out the numbers on paper but quite another to put them into practice in-game, so suffice to say we're just using this setup as a blueprint and will adjust as necessary. It's entirely possible we'll need all four casters plus help from Guide to kill Vile Spirits in time (though I seriously doubt it). On the other hand, we also might find the Priests and Harkle do plenty of damage and Kil can stay Arcane.

    My best guess says we'll use all four casters as planned on Vile Spirits, burn the majority of the wave down in ~20 seconds and call a DPS swap to LK, leaving 3 or 4 Vile Spirits alive at low health that can be taunted by me and soaked by whomever they agro, which would give our casters about 33% DPS time on LK and 66% on Vile Spirits, which means 16.5 seconds of LK DPS time actual versus the 8.3 seconds of LK DPS time needed.

    Time will tell!

  9. #99

    Default

    I tested Living Bomb with just the raid boss test dummy and two level 80 dummies. Self-Buffed with AI and MA.

    Non-crit tick 1000-1100(every 3 seconds)
    Crit tick 1900-2100(every 3 seconds)
    Non-crit explosion(at 12 sec) 2200-2400
    Crit Explosion(at 12 sec) 4000-4200

    On 3 test dummies I was at 5-7k DPS average. LB explosions though were at 10k-13k DPS. My effectiveness will be based on whether or not LB explodes.

    I do get a lot of LB explosion crits which means instant Pyroblast. I guess we can test it out and see.

  10. #100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilwenn View Post
    I tested Living Bomb with just the raid boss test dummy and two level 80 dummies. Self-Buffed with AI and MA.

    Non-crit tick 1000-1100(every 3 seconds)
    Crit tick 1900-2100(every 3 seconds)
    Non-crit explosion(at 12 sec) 2200-2400
    Crit Explosion(at 12 sec) 4000-4200

    On 3 test dummies I was at 5-7k DPS average. LB explosions though were at 10k-13k DPS. My effectiveness will be based on whether or not LB explodes.

    I do get a lot of LB explosion crits which means instant Pyroblast. I guess we can test it out and see.
    Very cool, thanks for the info Kil.

    Those numbers are actually a bit higher than I expected. So looking at your armory, I'll assume raid-buffed you're around 3850 Spell Power, so that puts the LB explosion at about 4036 average (with ~50% crit), plus 30% ICC buff means ~5247 damage per target.

    Now, since Kilwenn's damage is more back-loaded, it's safe to assume he'll hit fewer actual damage ticks than the other casters, but the AE ticks will hit more targets on average. Therefore, to be safe, we'll assume he can get 5 successful, unique LB DoTs within the 30 second timeframe, which really means getting 5 casts on 5 unique targets in the first 10 seconds of the Vile Phase, putting the final explosion at the ~22 second marker, about the time we want Vile DPS to stop.

    However, since the first AE won't trigger until 12-13 seconds into the Phase, we can safely assume LB explosions will hit more than 5 targets on average, so we'll bump up the assumed average to 7 per cast.

    5 explosions * 7 targets = 5247 * 5 * 7 = 183645 damage

    Add on the LB DoT damage, which is about 7694 total per target plus 30% ICC so ~10002 for each of 5 targets.

    5 targets * 10002 damage = 50010 + 183645 ae damage = 233,655 total damage or ~11683 DPS assuming 66% Vile DPS Time vs 33% LK DPS Time.

    So this puts our DPS table at:

    Fides DPS: 25585
    Harkle DPS: 17785
    Bunny DPS: 13760
    Kilwenn DPS: 11683
    Total: 68813

    Remember, in a perfect world, we need to deal 30,000 DPS to kill every Vile Spirit within the 30 second window before they agro. Obviously 68,000 is much higher than that, but clearly there are factors such as target availability/Vile clumping/Vile death/Defile movement/etc that will lower our actual DPS from expected. Further, we need at least 10 seconds of every 50 second phase for casters to be attacking LK, but again in reality, it's safer to assume 16-17 seconds, which is basically spending 20 seconds of every Vile Spawn phase attacking Vile, and the other 10 seconds attacking LK. Therefore, to kill Viles in 20 seconds, our caster DPS needs to be ~45,000. Again, our 68k puts us well over that, so with luck we'll find we can regularly kill all/most Vile Spirits by 15-20 seconds in and swap casters back to LK.

    We'll find out Sunday though!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •