Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Heroic Lich King Strategy Notepad

If Lemon is able to get a bit better performance out of his Warlock to better match his Death Knight's single-target DPS, we'd really see some outstanding numbers.
    A nice thing to note about demonology: My DK gains nothing based on lower enemy health. Warlock, on the other hand, gains Decimation below 35%, meaning my priority goes to Corruption > Imp Shadowbolt debuff > Immolate > Soulfire.

A demo lock does a significantly large portion of their overall damage (ESPECIALLY with bloodlust + cooldowns) during the sub-35% of a bosses health. My DK has the advantage of not having to worry about moving dps loss at all during soaking transition movement, but with a tank backpedal, my lock needs time to life tap and reapply corruption anyway, so pretty minimal "wasted" time. I can also do nifty tricks like leave a lock port in the middle of the room and blink ahead during each kite back and forth to minimize downtime.

Sub35% lich king life my warlock will exceed my death knight, and probably remain on par even after i get shadowmourne. Decimation is FTW.

Edit: Oh and still getting in the swing of things on my lock during those attempts, I missed fel armor and soul link. I failed hard, but now I know, and knowing is half the battle...

... the other half is bigger soulfires to the FACE.

Shadow Bolt Debuff > Life tap > Immolate > Soul Fire (Molten Core, Decimation) > Corruption > Soul Fire (Decimation) > Incinerate (Molten Core) > Shadow Bolt

Quote Originally Posted by LemonPeppery View Post
    A nice thing to note about demonology: My DK gains nothing based on lower enemy health. Warlock, on the other hand, gains Decimation below 35%, meaning my priority goes to Corruption > Imp Shadowbolt debuff > Immolate > Soulfire.

A demo lock does a significantly large portion of their overall damage (ESPECIALLY with bloodlust + cooldowns) during the sub-35% of a bosses health. My DK has the advantage of not having to worry about moving dps loss at all during soaking transition movement, but with a tank backpedal, my lock needs time to life tap and reapply corruption anyway, so pretty minimal "wasted" time. I can also do nifty tricks like leave a lock port in the middle of the room and blink ahead during each kite back and forth to minimize downtime.

Sub35% lich king life my warlock will exceed my death knight, and probably remain on par even after i get shadowmourne. Decimation is FTW.

Edit: Oh and still getting in the swing of things on my lock during those attempts, I missed fel armor and soul link. I failed hard, but now I know, and knowing is half the battle...

... the other half is bigger soulfires to the FACE.
    Good call on the Decimation; should help a great deal with Phase 3 of course!

Note for (primarily) Tanks/Healers for Phase 2 & 3:

Kain mentioned a great idea the other day to have me try to Intervene Khrash immediately after Taunt during Phase 2/3 Soul Reaper. Since Taunt isn't on the GCD, it would essentially allow us to get the 30% Damage Reduction from Intervene's Safeguard proc onto Khrash prior to the Soul Reaper hit, without losing any actual threat, since I'd be Taunting just before Intervene to maintain Khrash's current threat level, which he'll retake when he Taunts back.

That's definitely worth doing, but I was actually thinking that we could probably improve on it quite a bit by doing a simple alteration to the tactic:
    1. Khrash has agro on LK.
    2. Soul Reaper debuff hits Khrash, 5 second countdown begins.
    3. A couple seconds prior to the Soul Reaper damage hit, I Taunt LK and immediately Intervene Khrash, so now Khrash has the 30% Safeguard buff for 6 seconds.
    4. Khrash gets a text/sound warning from Power Auras when he gains Soul Reaper/Intervene, and immediately Taunts LK back to him (ala Saurfang tank swaps).
    5. Soul Reaper 60k hit will hit Khrash around this time along with 1-2 "buffed" LK melee hits that follow Soul Reaper, but all are reduced by the Safeguard buff.

By adding this immediate Re-Taunt by Khrash, we won't lose any overall threat from the Intervene, and LK should only be attacking/targetting me for 1-2 seconds at most (based on Khrash's Taunt reaction from Saurfang swaps), so I'll barely take damage.

The big advantage of this method of course, is that we shouldn't need other cooldowns for Soul Reaper and can instead save them for actual emergencies (Soul Reaper during Phase 3 when I'm too far and/or soaking Spirits, for example). This also allows Kain and Bunny to continue focusing heals only on one target, as I'll never be able to die from the few seconds LK attacks me, rather than the normal "swap" method we were using, where I'd have to get healed after taunting from some (sometimes) spikey damage while Khrash is simultaneously needing to be topped off before Soul Reaper hits.

Khrash and I are both already using Taunt glyphs so we'll never have any resists to worry about during these transitions, so I think this will be a way to improve slightly on Kain's great idea to really prevent close calls during Soul Reaper spikes.

As always, feedback welcome.

From a healing perspective I feel having Kull tank LK for the 5-6 seconds after Soul Reaper is the safer play quite frankly. I still like the idea that Khrash gets intervened simply to reduce damage of Soul Reaper, but as far as healing is concerned I can effectively keep both tanks up with beacon. The concern I am having with Intervene is the threat reduction, since the taunt -> intervene scenario is very hard to execute properly each time. The best scenario I've come up with is have Kull taunt LK from an intervening distance then immediately use intervene on Khrash, however I'm sure this will lead to some funky positioning and a small melee dps loss. Could greater use of Hand of Salvation be used to combat the threat concerns? As a healer I rarely have the opportunity to watch Omen to see who needs a Salv.

not sure on the rest of it but ill let you guys handle it. =P

i dont watch omen either while healing, however, i have grid set to indicate who has aggro. it makes a little redsquare. its handy =P usually when it shows that you have time to react (shield/heal/salv ) before they get beat down.
    正直

What we do for ourselves dies with us.
    What we do for others and the world remains, and is immortal.

VI Member

I may be completely off base here, but I have a question. What do ya'll think of going to 3 heals? I know DPS could be an issue for hitting the enrage timer, however, it seems like we get a groove going only to lose someone when RNG rears its ugly head. My reasoning is that I'd like to get deeper into the fight to work on some attempts where we consistently get deeper into the fight. Maybe if we get a few attempts down where we get deep into the fight and face enrage a few times it will give us the missing component needed to push through with our current strategy. I'd just hate to see us miss out on this because we run out of time and I feel like we are currently at a brick wall.

Healing's not a huge issue at the moment. It may seem like it is, but the majority of deaths are one shots. Healing won't help that.

I tend to agree with Fides; while a third healer could push us further on a handful of attempts, the vast majority of deaths are unrelated to healing and are simply player error (Shadow Trap, Horror Frenzy, Defile spread, low Valk dps, weak Transition spread, slow LK taunt rotation, etc). Therefore, I'd wager the few wipes that might be prevented with an extra healer would not outweigh the loss of a DPS, especially since that DPS would be Fides, who is by far the highest single-target DPS in the raid at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Guide
    I feel like we are currently at a brick wall.
    I'd guess that's entirely due to the ridiculous showing we went through with Lemon Sunday night and not the overall progression, as we've certainly made a great deal of progress just within the last couple days of HLK attempts after going back to the 2-heal/2-tank setup and the like. Simply put: 15 minutes is a long time to go for 10 players to all avoid making a mistake, so that's really the crux of the challenge. We'll get there soon...

VI Member

I was under the impression, though I've not analyzed it as such, that on several of the attempts that we got to ph 2 on last raid, when RNG caused Bunny to be picked up 3 times in a row or when Kain was picked up at the wrong time, it caused wipes. Obviously this is anecdotal at best, I've just been wracking my brains for anything that I can do personally to further our progress and also looking for possible ways to improve us overall. Thanks for the feedback to my suggestion Fides.